11.20.2010

INSPIRE: Weekend Inspiration from Will Smith

 "The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right."
I watched this clip of Will Smith discussing his work ethic, positive energy, defeating fear and success. It really spoke to me and reinforced many of the concepts and ideas I believe are sometimes the difference between those who achieve and excel and those who don't.



One of the "keys" to success or beliefs Smith subscribes to is the belief that he CAN do anything. In my home, as a child the word "can't" was not allowed to be used, especially in front of my father. He believed that there was no room for this word and that the minute it was spoken doors would be closed and opportunities would be missed. Of course, when I was 11 none of this made sense and I just counted it as another one of my father's annoying and over restrictive rules.

As an adult looking back and having the knowledge of an adult woman I see that my father was planting seeds of success in his children. My siblings I are all college graduates, with varying higher degrees. We all are on a quest for success in our respective crafts whether that be photography or law.

More after the Jump...



This video reminds me of the importance of the messages we give our children and accept ourselves are. To this day, I honestly and truly believe that there is nothing, that I can't do with the application of time, effort, and passion. I'm so thankful that my father loved me enough instill this concept in me. I applaud Will Smith for speaking so candidly about his success and reminding of the truth in one of the most meaningful lessons I took from reading and re-reading The Alchemist: once you decide what it is that you want the universe will conspire to help you to achieve it.

As most of you know I'm in grad school overload, trying to manage an even planning business, working full-time, etc. etc. This clip was just the shot of encouragement I needed.

Are there quotes or people that inspire and motivate you when you are feeling overwhelmed? How do you to be daring in pursuing to your goals? Are there lessons your parents taught you about success and life that have come full circle in your life? Share your comment below. We'd love to hear from you!

1 comment:

Naeemah Ifé said...

I am inspired! Thank you! :-)